Living in a small home with little space can be difficult, especially if someone you live with someone who has mobility issues. If you have been considering moving to a new home to better accommodate a family member you should reconsider, as it is far easier to work with a renovations expert to customize your current home to meet your mobility needs. Here are 10 ways to make home and bathroom renovations in your Ottawa home to make it mobility friendly:
1. Widen your doorways: This is a must to make moving from room to room easier for those in a wheelchair. It also works well for walkers and even crutches.
2. Adjust counter levels: By adjusting the counter levels individuals who are wheelchair bound are able to care for themselves and maintain their privacy when tending to their personal hygiene needs. One of the most affordable bathroom renovations.
3. Provide more light: This will increase visibility and help family members with mobility issues move throughout the home without fear of injury.
4. Install comfortable handles: When added to drawers and cabinets comfortable handles are a simple renovation you can add to any room especially kitchens and bathrooms.
5. Provide Handrails: Handrails are required on both sides of stairs to make it safer and easier for those who are still able to walk on their own to move up and down stairs with confidence.
6. Add reflective non-slip tape: Make it easier to spot the edge of each step or groove allowing people to move without fear of falling. Reflective non-slip can be used to indicate a change in flooring material such as going from carpet to tile; this can help prevent slipping.
7. Make flooring safer: The proper non slip flooring as well as floor covers will allow people to avoid slips and falls which are one of the most common accidents to occur in homes.
8. Use a chair for bathing: By installing a bath chair bathing will become easier and safer for people to shower independently, ultimately maintaining their privacy.
9. Bathroom handrails: Handrails are simple bathroom renovations in Ottawa homes that will make it easy to get in and out of the tub independently as well as to sit and stand when using the toilet.
10. Hand held shower devices: Will increase independence so people can shower privately without the need for assistance.
These affordable home and bathroom renovations help Ottawa home owners have mobility friendly homes with little fuss or muss.